Monday, June 2, 2014

6/2/14

Back from vacation!  I feel like I didn't get a whole lot done today, but that's probably just me trying to get back in the swing of things after spending a week in Florida.

I've only been working on this app for about a week and it already feels like my code is becoming... unwieldy.  I normally pride myself on my clean and organized code.  In fact, I probably spend the same amount of time adding comments and making things look nice as I do writing the actual code.  But this time, my code just feels like a mess.  I'm not sure if it's because I keep distracting myself by thinking of new bits of code to write, or if I feel pressured to spend less time on comments and formatting so I can release my app sooner.  It doesn't help not having an hourly wage; although I'm doing this more for the experience than the money, a little bit of money would still be nice.  So functional code seems to be taking priority over beautiful code.  Maybe I'll spend a couple hours tomorrow cleaning everything up.

I'm still struggling a bit with handling the activity hierarchy.  Namely, if I pass information to Activity A through an Intent, then it can read the Extras from that Intent and everything works fine.  But, if I go up from Activity B back to Activity A, then it doesn't use an Intent (or at least one that I wrote), so Activity A crashes when it tries to use information from the Intent that I never added.  I imagine that there is a way to handle this... actually, I know you can use startActivityForResult, but I'm not really looking for a result, I'm just trying to display the information that was there before I started Activity B.  I've kind of worked around it by calling onBackPressed every time someone clicks up, but I feel like that might not always work depending on what I decide to add.

Finally, Game of Thrones season 4 episode 8...  HOLY CRAP

No comments:

Post a Comment